Dog bait deaths in Leonora - again!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 22, 2007 at 22:54
ThreadID: 48949 Views:3686 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Some of you may recall my thread last year about 1080 dog baits in Leonora caravan park. You will remember those 2 dogs that died INSIDE the park.

Well its still happening, so there must be a serial dogbaiter in Leonora.

After crossing the Great Central Road, we stopped in Laverton (WA) van park and got talking some fellow prospectors. One of ‘em told me that she lost her dog to a bait in Leonora van park in April this year and two more died a few days later. I had to go from Laverton to Leonora on business so I though I’d have a word in The Shire Office to see if they were aware of this problem.

They were aware of it, though they didn’t know about the dogs dying in the caravan park. However, there’s been a heap of dogs died in the last year or so. Dogs have eaten baits on the street and within their own backyards. The WA Police are now involved. The culprit remains at large.

I hope it’s not me that catches him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take care with yer little mates,

Bilbo – “The pet loving hobbit”
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2007 at 23:34

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2007 at 23:34
Thanks Bilbo

Heading at that way next month, all three of us will keep an eye out

Cheers

Richard

Ps rig pic show some small mod to the getaway
AnswerID: 258530

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:38

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:38
The only thing I can think of is the "Rhino bars" on top that hold the solar panel(s).

Except maybe the spare wheel,,,,,,,,,,,it currently sits on the bed after it got ripped clean off, winch cable snapped etc, when we hit a big boondie on the Gibb River Road. It was my own stupid fault and not the Getaway's. Got a bit over ambitiuos at 70 kmh!!

Another story worth telling one day,,,,,,,

Other than that the Supreme Getaway performed flawlessly and I hammered it across a lot of rough tracks as well the Gibb River Road and The Great Central Road. With it being so small I even took it places that a Bushtracker couldn't go - too big 'n too heavy. I highly recommend the "little wonder"

Take care,
FollowupID: 519939

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:06

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:06
Gees Bilbo,
Would be nice to place a wee dram of 1080 in the bastard's Steak Dianne.
Jeff H.
AnswerID: 258539

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:21

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:21
G'day Bilbo

Thanks for that. It is always a worry when travelling with dogs in the West.

I kept a lookout for you when I was in the Top End recently. I bumped into The Rambler and his mate at Butterfly Spring in Limmen National Park and he told me that he had bumped into you somewhere along the way. Small world!

The Rambler(we never formally introduced ourselves...lol) shared some coconuts he had 'acquired' somewhere, with us for lunch. And they were very juicy too, I might add.

Cheers
AnswerID: 258540

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:44

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:44
Willem,

Yes. we met "The Rambler" whilst filling up fuel at Katherine. He was on his way to Gulf Country I think.

I vaguely remember seeing his nuts in the back of his truck and thinking to myself,"How unusual to keep one nuts in the back of one's truck and such big nuts too!"

Sorry we didn't meet Willem. It woulda been good to yarn,,,,,,,,,,,about TYRES!! I'm going back to splitties for bush work. This trip was the first time for 15 years that I've travelled on "Fatties" and it was worst ever for punctures and rips. It cost me a flamin' fortune!!

Bilbo - "The deflated hobbit"
FollowupID: 519942

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 18:12

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 18:12
Yeah mate

After switching to tubeless fatties about 5 years ago(and endless punctures) I have gone back to splits and crossplies as you may know.

This last trek, which included some very rough offtrack excursions, I did not even incur a sidewall cut. The MRF tyres are gaining a good reputation in the bush as a tough tyre with many stations running them on their work vehicles.
'
Cheers
FollowupID: 520005

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:21

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:21
scum, hope they get what they deserve. poor little buggers.
AnswerID: 258544

Reply By: Member - Sweeney (WA) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:40

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:40
It is unfortunate that some people pets have died but not always someone fault or intent. If it was deliberate, I hope they find the bastard.

1080 is used due to the fact that kills feral (also human) animals while being non-toxic to native animals. 1080 is very controlled poison and cannot be used without permission and is supplied by the Department of Agriculture.
There was a incident in the Kimberley a few years back where community dogs where dying of 1080. Turned out birds where carrying the 1080 away from the drop areas and the dogs wandering far outside the community where finding the baits. The only reason they knew, was that one dog survived long enough to come back to the community. Bird that carry, lives. Dog that eats, dies.

When travelling in 1080 baits area:
1. Do not let you dog wander out of your sight
2. Chain up your dog at night or keep inside
3. Do not allow your dog to scavenge (all dogs do...)

If you think you found a 1080 bait, do not touch it and report it to the Department of Agriculture or Police.
AnswerID: 258567

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:32

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:32
It must be deliberate.

1. There's simply too many dead dogs in Leonora compared with other "1080 areas" - Laverton, Mt Magnet, Menzies, Meeka etc

2. Too many were in thier own backyards when they took the bait. i.e It was thrown over the fence.

3. Five confirmed dog deaths in the caravan park alone,,,,,,,,go figure.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 519937

Follow Up By: Member - Sweeney (WA) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 15:37

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 15:37
When they happen? I can find any information about one dog poisoning yet alone five?

1080 is a S7 poison, which is under very tight restrictions and can't be just thrown around.
FollowupID: 519976

Follow Up By: T-Ribby - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 20:46

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 20:46
Having used 1080 (Sodium Monofluoroacetate) extensively myself on pest destruction boards, I don't follow your logic about it not being toxic to non-feral animals as it kills all warm blooded animals that I know of, and some birds.
An easy way to protect your dog is to attach a length of chain onto one side of a collar which goes around and inside the mouth of the dog and attaches on the other side of the collar - much like a horse bit. I used this kind of muzzle on my dogs
when going through 1080 kill areas and didn't lose any of them, nor did the rest of our pest destruction team. As the baits being used in the park ground would most likely be direct doses it would take only a minute amount to kill a dog.
It is a dangerous poison to handle and only a mongrel would misuse it.
T.R.
FollowupID: 520037

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 21:28

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 21:28
There were two last year about this time - I witnessed one myself and had no doubt that the other had died just a day before we got there.
There were 3 others in April/may this year. This info came from a reliable source. One of the deaths was that of her own dog. Finally, the people at Leonora Shire Offices confirmed it all when they responded to my enquiries by stating, "Yes, we have a dog baiting problem in the town and the matter is now in the hands of the WA Police".

You may well not have heard about it. They are hardly likely tp be shouting ot from the roof tops as Leonora depends a lot on prospector tourism for it's income.

Myself, I reckon they should publicise it.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 520046

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 22:02

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 22:02
T Ribby,

!080 or Sodium Monoflouro Acetate (SMFA) IS toxic to all warm blooded animals - IN VARYING DEGREES.

Dogs are particularly vulnerable. In fact they are the most vulberable. This due to them being totally carnivorous and due to thier physiology.

Native animals are far less affected by it as SFMA is found in a lot of native plants and trees. Plus, most of Australia's fauna are vegetarian or at worst omnivorous. Hence over thousands of years they have developed a high level of immunity to SMFA. But not a total immunity. Hence it can kill native animals, but it would take about 30 times more SMFA to kill a roo than it would to kill a dog and roos are vegetarian and wouldn't be attracted to a meat based bait.

SMFA is used to kill possums in some states of Oz, but it's then mixed with cereal. It's the cereal that attracts the possums and the doasge of SMFA is much higher than that used to kill dogs, due to the possums built in partial immunity.

Google it. There's tonnes of info on it.

BTW - to say that 1080 is controlled substance is a bit of joke in the Goldfields.. Out there you can get anything - I MEAN ANYTHING - if ya know who to ask.

HF Acid is highly controlled poison but it's all over the place out there and is used for cleaning gold. Ganja, smack, ice, crack, heroin, it's all readily available. In fact ganja is grown in large quantities out there and there are certain areas that it ain't wise to enter.

'Nuff said,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bilbo - "The I know nuffink hobbit"

FollowupID: 520054

Follow Up By: T-Ribby - Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:26

Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:26
Hi Larry, I'll only comment on the bits I've had personal experience with.
We used dosed carrot slices dropped by topdressing aircraft for rabbits and possums, and oats with molasses for hand distribution along disc furrows. All mammals that ate the bait died, including several deer goats and pigs. Birds with a crop became very ill but usually survived (wild turkey) It killed some raptors and not others, so as you correctly point out, it depends on the dose strength and on how much they ingest. Dogs are the most at risk and I have unfortunately witnessed several of them dying. It is a cruel way to go, the animal being conscious and in convulsions - however we put them out of their misery with a .22. Farmers had a contempt for 1080 and lost a lot of their top and valuable dogs as we couldn't convince some of them of the risk. I hated using this poison and preferred sodium cyanide and strychnine which both at least have an antidote.
cheers
T.R.
FollowupID: 520096

Follow Up By: T-Ribby - Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:29

Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:29
I'd like to add to that last post "both at least have an
antidote, and are quick.
cheers
T.R.
FollowupID: 520097

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 09:12

Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 09:12
T ribby where was that?
I understand 1080 immunity has a fair bit to do with the area s 1080 containing plants are more prevelent in some areas. For instance Tasmanian natives are very suseptable as there are no 1080 plants there
FollowupID: 520101

Follow Up By: T-Ribby - Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 16:15

Friday, Aug 24, 2007 at 16:15
Hi Davoe.
I During my many travels I worked for quite some time on a North Canterbury Pest destruction board in Un Zud, plus some private fur gathering in the same area. I haven't any knowledge of 1080 bearing flora back here in Oz so can't comment on that. By the sound of it, area flora has a lot to do with resistance.
cheers
T.R.
FollowupID: 520153

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 15:30

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 15:30
Strange people out that way - a few years back someone(s) took a shotgun a blew every living thing off of Malcolm Dam Pluss whatever they could find around it
AnswerID: 258614

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 21:30

Thursday, Aug 23, 2007 at 21:30
Davoe,

Ya can hear duelling banjos in that neck of the woods on any afternoon. ;)

Bilbo
FollowupID: 520047

Reply By: Beeming - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:20

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:20
As a dog owner as well as a wildlife carer I felt compelled to add a comment re baiting. Be very aware that CALM use baits and poison very liberally and have been known to poison water holes killing Camels, Horses, Kangaroo's and anything else unfortunate enough to drink from a CALM target water hole. So its important that you watch what your pet drinks also. Chances are that it is CALM that poison the pets in caravan parks actually targeting the black fellas dogs who run free and turn feral. I know this because I worked 14 years in the mines out there.

Alot of people think CALM are the good guys but if everyone really knew how much wildlife CALM kill in the name of conservation it would make you sick. Take the Rainbow Lorikeet. They are classed as a pest in WA and Carers are told to let them die if found sick or injured. Of course any wildlife carer would help any animal regardless of some Gov dept's opinion of what should live and what should die.

If someone deliberately poisoned my pet in a caravan park while traveling I would not leave that town until I found the culprit.
Lets hope the cops find the lowlifes before they get hurt.

Happy travels...
AnswerID: 259324

Sponsored Links